Saturday, September 18, 2010

Real men

There are a lot of men in this world. Unfortunately, there is a severe shortage of real men. Real men are not afraid to do what is right, even if they are pressured to go with the flow and do what is wrong. Real men will sacrifice everything for the ones they love, and will do whatever it costs to protect those they love.

The real men I know are some of my best friends. They say funny things that make me laugh, and they write beautiful things that make me weep. They make sure I know of their love for me, whether they tell me straight out that they love me, or if they let me know in a more subtle way.

These real men are strong, courageous, daring, adventurous and exciting. They are chivalrous, gallant, and gentlemanly. They are brave enough to kill the dragons, and humble enough to play with children.

They are heroes.

Here's to my amazing father, Paul. To my brothers Isaiah, Josiah and Zachariah. To my cousin Seth. To my grandfather Ralph English. And to my grandfather Paul MacDonald. There are many other real men in my life, but these are the ones closest to me.

Thanks for being there for me. Your words of encouragement and advice, your hugs, the times you sat next to me, when you danced with me, or sang with me, are all part of who I am. I will never forget every time you fought for me, whether in our games, or in real life. You've always been by my side to protect me, and I know you always will. Each one of you is amazing.

So here's from a daughter, a sister, a cousin and a granddaughter. I give you all I can give: my admiration, my respect, and especially my love.

Thank you God, for real men.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, this is such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Londa. It is a good reminder that real men still exist (because sometimes it certainly doesn't feel like there are any left!). Thank you for being there to encourage them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jessica and Isaiah! I'm glad to know you liked it, Isaiah. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful I can say I know several real men. And I am thankful I can say I have a chum like you!

    ReplyDelete