Monday, November 1, 2010

The first of November...

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of November is Thanksgiving. Because that is such a big part of our November agenda, I am planning to post one thing I am thankful for each day of this month. I realize that a post every day will be quite a lot, but I would still like to do it. So bear with me, as I learn to be thankful.

Although all of my posts may not necessarily be in order of importance, this first one is definitely the one I am most thankful for.

God. That really sums it up, actually. 

God is my best friend. He has been with me since the day I was born; he knows the big things that have happened to me and changed my life; he knows the little insignificant things that happen every day. One amazingly cool thing about him is that he knows me better than I know myself. So when I am feeling confused about who I am, and who I am meant to be, I just have to remember that he knows exactly who I am, and has everything planned out for who I will become, and his plan is far greater than anything I could even imagine. Not necessarily because of the circumstances I will end up in, or what exactly will happen to me, but because in the end, I'll be something beautiful, something wonderful, something that God says 'is very good'. And that's the most special thing that could ever happen to me. 
Another thing about this amazing God of mine is how near he is when I am hurting. When my heart is aching because of something that has happened to me, or something that has happened to another in my life, I always have God who is constantly reminding me that he'll always be right beside me. He will always be holding my hand, and when I need a hug, he's there to hug me. When I need a shoulder to cry on, he is there, and he is crying with me! 
He is the one who will always think I am beautiful, even when I am sure I'm not. He is the one who understands my torn and confused emotions, even when no one else can. He is the one who is watching me, in everything I do and say, and when I do it wrong, he is there to gently rebuke me and show me the right way to go. And when I do it right, he is there to rejoice with me and say, "That was splendid."

More than any other gift that God has placed in my life, I am thankful for the gift of himself. I am thankful for his fatherlike tenderness; his brotherly affection; his friendly compassion; and his overflowing love. 

Thank you, God for yourself. And as you love me with an everlasting love, make my love real and everlasting as well. 

6 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea to make us stop and think about all the blessings we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Isaiah! I definitely don't stop and 'count my blessings' as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! :) And what a good idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post! What a good idea. I think I may have to "steal" it. ;)

    ReplyDelete