Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grandparents

With this wonderful family, and all these great cousins, aunts and uncles, I of course need to tell you how thankful I am for my grand grandparents.

My dad's parents are not your stereo-typical grandparents. The idea we sometimes get from stories is that grandfather sits on the couch and reads his newspaper all day. Far from it for Grandpa English. He is hardworking, loves to be outside, and stays very active. My dad loves to tell us stories about when he was young, and let me tell you, my grandfather was an amazing man. He was always doing something exciting, like taking mountain hikes, or sharing God's word in Korea (they were missionaries there for many years), or biking across the United States. He is generally quiet and somewhat soft spoken, but once you get to know him you discover how funny he is -- he loves puns -- and how strong he is. Grandma English is also very much not stereo-typical. I suppose some people would be intimidated by her no-nonsense way of thinking, but I have learned to love her for it. She always sends us emails on our birthdays, and compliments from her I value very highly. I am very blessed by them both.

My Grandpa MacDonald is a very fine man. I admire his gentle manner, and his kind way of speaking. He is always considerate and thoughtful of others. He, like my Grandpa English, is hard-working and strong, and I love to hear stories about him. I wish I knew him better (unfortunately, our visits to Maine are far too few), but I am so thankful for the times we have had to talk. I am very impressed by him, and his example is a very good one for me. I never met my mom's mother; she passed away before my parents were married. I do not, however, lack a grandmother on my mom's side. My Grandpa married again before I was born, and so for as long as I've been alive I have been very blessed by my Grandma Jo. She is one of the hardest working women I know, and is very strong; at the same time, she is sweet and gentle. She is very godly and extremely humble. I cherish the moments I've had with her; doing dishes together, playing Scattergories, or talking about books we've read.

I realize that one day, surely far sooner than I even realize, each of these dear ones will be with Jesus, and when I think about that, a very empty feeling enters deep in my heart. Though I often take it for granted, these godly grandparents are a big part of my life and I can't imagine my life without them. They, through their own example, through their children and their children's children, have done so much to shape my way of thinking. Thank you, God, for this legacy of love.

1 comment:

  1. The more the love, the more the loss. I find this in little ways, as well as big. Like LotR, finishing the book was the worst thing for me, it was horrible, but the story was unbelievable, so powerful, heartbreaking. The better the story, the more you will fall back into reality so to speak. This is partly the reason why I shy away from fiction.

    ReplyDelete